Installation & Maintenance
Marazzi USA ceramic and porcelain tile is manufactured using the most advanced technology and processes available in the world today. The finest natural materials combined with our state-of-the-art research and development program assures every Marazzi customer the finest tile available.
Prior to installing any ceramic or porcelain tiles, please refer to written guidelines detailed in the current TCNA Handbook for Ceramic, Glass and Stone Tile Installation.
using a grout release agent
A grout release agent is highly recommended when installing the following series:
special grouting situations
Before grouting any Marazzi USA product, regardless of the grout color chosen, we strongly recommend that a test spot be done by the contractor to determine if the grout pigment will contaminate the surface of the tile. Special care should be taken when light colored tiles are to be grouted with a contrasting dark grout. If no grout discoloration occurs, the installer can proceed with grouting. If the grout discolors the surface of the tile, Marazzi recommends that the tile be treated with a grout release agent similar to Aqua Mix’s or Miracle Sealants’ recommended products.
We recommend the following steps be added to the grouting process, to ensure the best outcome:
- Limit the area to be grouted to a reasonable working space. We recommend grouting a maximum of 10 square feet at one time so the excess grouting compound can be easily removed.
- Clean the surface of the tile two to three times before the grout is allowed to dry.
- When installing products such as Archaeology you may find it beneficial to use a “grout cleaning tub system” for highly effective cleanup during the grouting process.
The single most important step for future daily maintenance involves the complete removal of grout and construction dirt after products have been installed. Marazzi tiles can be cleaned successfully by scrubbing the installation with hot water and detergent, followed by a through rinsing, then removing the rinse water with a wet vacuum or dry toweling. If some residue remains further cleaning will need to be done in consultation with the grout manufacturer. For more aggressive cleaning, floor scrubbing machines equipped with nylon pads or brushes should be used. Wet vacuuming of the suspended dirt and grout is recommended.
ceramic & porcelain tile - routine care & maintenance
The following recommendations are for everyday care and maintenance for your Marazzi USA tile. These recommendations are made with the assumption that the tile was thoroughly cleaned of grout after the initial installation (following the grout manufacturer’s instructions).
Tile, whether glazed ceramic or porcelain, should be maintained on a regular and frequent basis to prevent buildup of soil, grease, residue, soap detergents, sealers, dampness, liquids, etc., to keep the surface clean and lessen slippery conditions.
Glazed ceramic and porcelain tiles require minimal maintenance. Either can be cleaned with clear water and/or a Ph neutral liquid cleaner (soapless). Follow with a clear water rinse and wipe dry to prevent film formation. As with most porcelains, spilled liquids may stain the light-colored products if not promptly removed. Neither sealing nor acid cleaning is recommended for any of American Marazzi USA's glazed ceramic or porcelain tile.
For heavily abrasive tile, i.e. tile with a wet C.O.F. of ≥ 0.70, the following maintenance equipment and procedures may be required:
- Wash Group: One five gallon plastic pail, one deck brush (10 inches wide with two inch bristles) and one mop (rayon).
- Rinse Group: A standard mop bucket with a mop wringer and one mop (rayon).
- Procedure: Fill the five gallon Wash Group pail with hot water and p.H. neutral liquid cleaner (soapless) in concentrations according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Half-fill the Rinse Group mop bucket with clear hot water.
- Immerse the Wash Group mop in the five gallon pail of cleaner solution. Working in ten foot by ten foot sections, spread the cleaner solution to cover the ten square foot section. Scrub well with the deck brush.
- Following the scrubbing, rinse the area with the mop and water from the Rinse Group. Proceed to the next ten square foot area and repeat these procedures until the floor is cleaned, changing both the wash solution and rinse water frequently as they become dirty.
polished tile - routine care & maintenance
This polished porcelain surface is very unique. Care should be taken to avoid surface contact with any acidic products. These products may include, but are not limited to the following: beer; wine; sodas; citric acids (lemons, grapefruits, oranges, etc.); tomatoes; vinegar; and pet urine. Additionally, Marazzi USA does not recommend acid cleaning/ washing for this glazed porcelain tile.
glass tile — routine care & maintenance
i.e. catwalk, crystal stone, crystal stone ii
Use a glass cleaner and a soft lint-free cloth for cleaning glass tile. To remove soap scum or water deposits a minimally abrasive cleanser and soft bristle brush can be used.
decorative accents — routine care & maintenance
i.e. divine woods™, metal mania™, romance collection, romancing the stone
Clean regularly with clear water and/or neutral (soapless) cleaner, wipe dry with soft cloth. Do not use sandpaper, steel wool, scouring pads or any other abrasive materials.